nanog mailing list archives

Re: Little survey: What do people use to backup configurations ?

From: Alan Hannan <alan () mindvision com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:06:42 -0600

 Several folks mention Rancid, which is a great system for what
 it is meant to do, Austin deserves much kudos.

 Additionally, w/ expect and cvs, one can write a custom system
 without too much work, but with Rancid, why bother?

 A company called Gold Wire Technology (www.goldwiretech.com) has
 an excellent product called "Forumlator".  It's more than just
 config archives; that's a small by-product of what it does.  High
 level, it's an industrial strength policy-based configuration
 management system,  Very impressive company and product.  They
 cover much of the OSS requirements for active network management,
 ie, not alarms or trending, but activation and change-management,
 etc.

 Two "tier 1" ISPs beta-tested the SW, and I think it's shipping for
 revenue RSN.

 -alan

  (...who has a vested interest in Gold Wire)

Thus spake Ulf Zimmermann (ulf () Alameda net)
 on or about Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:34:47PM -0800:

A while back when I was at SGI, I wrote my own scripts, using expect
and tftp to backup configurations of Cisco routers. Configs then were
put into rcs. Now before I am resurecting those scripts again for my
current job, what are people using to backup equipment, things such
as Cisco routers (26xx, 36xx, 72xx, 75xx, MSFC, RSM) and Cisco Catalyst
switches (2924XL, 3548XL, 4000, 5000, 6500) ?

What I am trying to archive is at least a daily backup, with again
some version control to be able what changed between days.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073