nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP deployment and peering questions

From: "Ryan O'Connell" <ryan () complicity co uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:44:20 +0000

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:00:55AM -0500, Daniel L. Golding wrote:
[snip various points that I agree with]

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Ryan O'Connell wrote:
A Cisco 3640 with 64Mb will (Or at least did) just about handle a BGP
feed from two or three peers. Memory requirements (And CPU requirements)
increase with the number of peers, but 192Mb should be plenty for most
applications.

Not any more. We have had customer try this configuration and go to malloc
hell. 128mb is the minimum for a full view these days. A Riverstone RS8000
or a Cisco 3640 will handle several full views nicely with 128mb. Remember
the 3640 won't go above 128mb, though. A 3660 or a SSR makes a nice CPE
box if you need 256mb.

Unless Cisco have changed something, a 3640 can only take 64Mb of memory max.
You'd need a 3660 for 128Mb.

You can get away with a Cisco 3640 for full BGP, but it does depend on the
cards you have installed. NM-1A-T3 is a memory hog for example, but if
you've only got NM-2E2Ws you're probably OK. You might also need to tweak
iomem, but later IOS releases do this for you. 11.2 might be a better
choice for BGP-speaking 3640s are the memory requirements are lower.

--
Ryan O'Connell - <ryan () complicity co uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time