nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using unallocated address space - for DoS?

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 14 Feb 2001 17:14:55 -0800

On Wed, 14 February 2001, "Miguel A.L. Paraz" wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:21:32AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
You don't have to break into the "right" router; you just have to start
announcing the networks in a way that your peers don't -- can't --
detect is improper.

I did not mean that the network operator was malicious.  I meant, in the same
way that vulnerable servers are broken into and used for DoS, can routers
be broken into and do DoS via blackholes?  I think it is hard unless you
know the right combination of vulnerable router (sniffable LAN?) and
unprotected upstream or peer.

Once again, you don't need to break into someone else's routers.  This
isn't an exploit list, so I'm not going to post a cookbook on how to do
it.  But due to the limited protection in some networks, it remains a
relatively simple attack or accident waiting to happen.

Why break into a bank, when you can push a button on the side of the
building and money comes out.  Unlike a cash machine, where you need
to know at least a PIN in addition to some working bank account number,
you can wipe out almost any IP address you don't like with essentially
no authentication.