nanog mailing list archives

AS 701 local-pref answer.

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:28:30 -0800 (PST)

Mike Leber wrote:

If they set local pref for both peers and customers
to 100 how do they
ensure that the customer transit routes are
announced to peers?

The reason I ask this is because if a customer
announces a customer of
theirs to you that a peer also has as a customer >you
will have equal
length routes for the same destination AS.  While
there are many ways to
deterministicly prefer customer routes, local pref
is the most common.

AS 701 always announces the best route, as their
routers know it.  Their average AS-path length is
under 2, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.  If a
customer of AS 701 wants to insure that his/her route
is advertised in all cases, s/he could send a
community which AS701 edge devices could use to
manipulate local-preference upward.  [this was covered
in a previous posting on this topic]  I leave it to
your imagination whether peers would be permitted to
do this.

-David Barak
I only speak for myself.
"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" - Juvenal