nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Operations Luminaries?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:05:54 -0500

In message <200112071652.fB7GqDQ07020 () valen gwi net>, Fletcher E Kittredge writ
es:

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:40:36 -0700 (MST)  Pete Kruckenberg wrote:
Who is/are the network operations equivalents of people like
Peter Drucker and Jack Welch--people who are looked at not
only has role models for operations success, but as
luminaries in the industry for having established and
educated the masses about best practices?

My idiosyncratic, incomplete, personal list is:

  Steve Bellovin

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm not an operations guy -- never was
in the NOC sense, except for *tiny* networks, and for a fair number of
years not even on security.  I hang out on NANOG so that I can learn
from everyone else.

                Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com