nanog mailing list archives

Re: multi-homing fixes

From: Andreas Plesner Jacobsen - Tiscali <apjacobsen () dk tiscali com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:27:03 +0200

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 12:02:33PM -0500, Larry Sheldon wrote:

Do you *really* want your DNS TTL set down in the same range as
the time for a BGP route fall-over?

Ever read RFC1123?

It states:
 2.3  Applications on Multihomed hosts

But I thought the thread was talking about multi-homed _networks_,
which I take to be a different problem from multi-homed _hosts_.

Am I in over my head again?

If we define a network as something, which consists of: clients and
servers (hosts) - then the problem on hosts could be solved with DNS as
above.
Clients could be either:
1. NATed behind a HSRPish device so that they always use the same IP,
   and the NAT device translates to whichever uplink is currently active
or
2. Reconfigured if one link should be down

--
Med venlig hilsen / Sincerely
  Andreas Plesner Jacobsen (Network Engineer) / Tiscali A/S (World Online)