nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routescience?

From: Peter Francis <peter () softaware com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:38:40 -0700

At 5:33 PM +0000 8/22/01, E.B. Dreger wrote:
(Please wrap lines at ~72 chars)

If I am reading the "detailed" report right, the RS box actually
is the border router:

"Entry-level pricing includes a modular, 14-slot chassis that
occupies eight rack units and support for two ISP links. Optional
modules can be added to support additional ISP links and enhanced
reporting features."

Ah.  I skipped the part about "support for two ISP links".

In which case, perhaps it is trying to pop open HTTP packets and
insert its stealth GIF on the fly, at line speed.

That's a lot of hardware for a function that might be better off
embedded in the actual servers themselves ...

In-server is what I initially thought of, too.  However, then one
must coordinate between servers... what's wrong with a simple box
in promiscuous mode snagging eq 80 and eq 443 packets and dumping
the rest?

It just seems a shame to have to store and forward all the traffic
when one can analyze it from another viewpoint.  Yes, managed
switches complicate sniffing, but many (most? all?) managed
switches have a "monitor port" that can wiretap traffic.

Unless you plan on "sniffing" your core router-to-router traffic (a very bad idea in my opinion) how do you deal with a
web-hosting customer who is not sitting on a colo-LAN but rather across a WAN link of some variety?

Until we get the real low-down on the RouteScience design, no use speculating.

Peter

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence