nanog mailing list archives

Re: Code Red growth stats

From: Jasper Wallace <jasper () ivision co uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:33:09 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <Pine.SOL.3.93.1010801170555.4987V-100000 () acns fsu edu>, Scott Sturs
a writes:

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Dave Stewart wrote:

I suspect we'll see it begin to pick up a little bit... it looks like
Billybob is just starting to get home from work and fire up his whizbang
Windows 2000 machine, which he put IIS on so he can share kewl warez and
mp3z with his leet friends...

At 1500 EDT I put a counter on one of our commodity Internet connections,
looking for port 80 connects to one of our unassigned /24 subnets.  Here
are the results so far:

1500-1530: 682
1530-1600: 536
1600-1630: 533
1630-1700: 643

Seems to be picking up.

Maybe -- we need more data to be sure.  But -- given that a lot of
folks have patched systems over the last two weeks -- I suspect it's
running out of "food".  Look at the graph from the last go-round at
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-23.html -- it leveled off, too.
(If the Worm is operating on UTC, the "stop" phase would have commenced
at 2000 EDT.  Even if it ran on local time, Western European machines
wouldn't quiesce until 1700.  The drop off starts well before that.)

35331 so far here (from 5120 ip's of dead space), but it definatly
seems to be leveling off - graphs and data (time_t, count) here:

http://mostly.pointless.net/~jasper/cr/

--
Internet Vision          Internet Consultancy           Tel: 020 7589 4500
60 Albert Court            & Web development            Fax: 020 7589 4522