nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP address blocks for out-of-band inter-provider links

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:03:48 +0000 (UCT)

 Well, it sure looks like a "virtual" exchange to me.

--==_Exmh_1734063872P

On Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:44:22 PDT, Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>  said:

Because this isn't supposed to be connected to the Internet, its not
necessary to use IANA/ARIN/RIPE/APNIC assigned IP address blocks. Several
providers use private addresses on their out-of-band management networks.
I would prefer to use globally unique IP addresses between providers to
avoid conflicts with the RFC1918 private addresses already in use in
provider's networks, and if the addresses accidently leak.

But of course, all the people involved have their border routers configured
to do proper egress filtering of 1918 addresses, so they won't leak very far ;)

Having said that, you can probably make the case that you're building a
"virtual" exchange point, and ask for some address space for that?

--
                              Valdis Kletnieks
                              Operating Systems Analyst

--==_Exmh_1734063872P