nanog mailing list archives

RE: multi-homing fixes

From: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf () tndh net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:38:31 -0700

Sean M. Doran wrote:

Let me take some of your text out of context and agree with it fully:

[A permanently stable holes-in-CIDR-blocks environment exists]
| Only if there is a limit on the number of ISPs. I don't think there
| is such a [practical rather than absolute] limit

The problem with metro-based addressing is that the statement
above is equally true for it as for PA addressing.

Understanding the truth in that general statement,
I would like to know if anyone sees a significant
difference in the number of holes created by each
approach. Handwaving can go either way, so the
question is given real topologies and multi-homing
goals, is there enough difference in the number
of holes created to bias the approach?

Tony