nanog mailing list archives

Re: What is the limit? (was RE: multi-homing fixes)

From: Stephen Stuart <stuart () tech org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:58:03 -0700

Sorry, Leo is correct. Technologies he outlined are only the tip of the
ice-berg of what *isn't* being exploited by the router vendors.

Your average PC doesn't have to be NEBS-compliant, doesn't have to work
more than 24 hours w/o crashing, and doesn't have quite strict constraints
on power & heat dissipation.  It doesn't have to have redundant power, and
its components are readily available and cheap (those are produced in
_large_ batches).

i think mo said something like "can we not discuss building global
infrastructure using home appliances?"

"Technology" is neither NEBS-compliant or not. I don't think the
suggestion is that the toaster-oven or the PC become an integral part
of the infrastucture, but that the vendors are lagging in taking
advantage of technologies that have been widely, and successfully,
deployed elsewhere.

I don't want my router on the absolute bleeding edge of processors and
supporting chipsets and what-not because I want the vendor to have
seen the lessons learned by others in many orders of magnitude greater
numbers of deployments in other devices.

Neither do I want my vendor to lag so far behind that while other
kinds of devices have a cheetah in their case, my router vendor is
still shovelling in hamsters.

Stephen

(Maybe this one will trigger some filters for insensitivity to
hamsters. "crap" and "crud" failed completely.)