nanog mailing list archives

Re: Information from an FTP violation this weekend

From: Adam Rothschild <asr () latency net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:42:44 -0400

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 02:17:52PM -0700, Roger Marquis wrote:
I think the point was (inadvertently made) that this site
(209.123.52.40, NAC-NETBLK02, nac.net, running NEPTUNE Microsoft
FTP) has a security problem.

Yeah, I'd say:

% telnet 209.123.52.40 21
[...]
220 NEPTUNE Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).

Looks like the compromised (?) machine belongs to a NAC customer; have
you tried contacting this customer offline?

It is not standard practice to have listable AND writable directories
on anonymous ftp servers.

I'm not sure what standard practice dictates, but I'd hope the norm
isn't to run FTP at all for such things.

If customers need to upload files they should also have individual
directories under an unreadable directory tree i.e.,

      /upload/a9-ns/custX
      /upload/0igm19/custY

Why not have them ssh/scp over the data, possibly using a sufficiently
tight configuration that only allows a given RSA/DSA key to execute
what's absolutely necessary, or something?  Or for the severely
stubborn and clue-impaired, use a https-based web upload tool?

Need I mention why clear text file transfers of sensitive data are bad?
:-)

-adam