nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cooler servers for the Internet

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:56:51 -0400

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:39:01 PDT, Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>  said:

I'm not very interested in who really has the coolest, most efficient
computers.  I am interested in getting accurate information for planning
purposes.  If this leads to computer vendors publishing more accurate
information, great.  I'm afraid instead, the pendulum will swing the
other direction and vendors will begin understating their true power
requirements.

I don't have numbers handy for the IBM boxes, but note that the p680
can go 6 to 24 CPU, and from 4G to 96G of RAM.  Hardly a case where
one number will fit all.  IBM at least *used* to provide power info
on a per-component basis, but you had to get the 'Site Planning and
Preparation' manual for the system in question.  I also know that SGI
has information on amperage considerations for their O2K,  Onyx and Onyx2
rack-mount servers, where you *can* get into the situation where you
have open slots, but be unable to put a high-draw card in because
the power supply for the cage isn't rated for it.

The only way to get "more accurate" info is to line-item each component
and add up the numbers for *your* configuration.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst