nanog mailing list archives

Re: What does 95th %tile mean?

From: John Fraizer <nanog () Overkill EnterZone Net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:06:11 -0400 (EDT)

When you purchase a DS1, you're purchasing 1.5Mb/s.  That means, 1.5Mb/s
in BOTH directions.  If the circuit was supposed to be billed as 3Mb/s,
they would claim 3Mb/s linerate.

Ethernet, ATM, blah blah blah works the same way.  ADSL and cable modems
are the strange mediums that are not SYMETRIC.

IMHO, 1Mb/s means 1Mb/s IN, OUT or BOTH.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc