nanog mailing list archives

Re: MultiBind Testers Wanted

From: woods () weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:28:22 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Wednesday, April 11, 2001 at 08:05:14 (-0700), kevind () sea checkpoint com wrote: ]
Subject: Re: MultiBind Testers Wanted

The term BIND, as DNS software, was never owned by Mike Karels or I.
Neather of us were the creators of BIND.  At the time we work on BIND,
our work was owned by UCB.  The original creators of BIND were Douglas
Terry, Mark Painter, David Riggle and Songnian Zhou.  They were
working on their graduate degrees in Computer Science at UCB.  The
first published paper about BIND is in the Proceeding of Summer USENIX
Conference 1984, Salt Lake City.

Oh my!  I missed that reference!  Thank you very much for correcting me!

I am not a lawyer but I could see that at some point the UCB Copyright
would expire and that the ISC copyright would then pick up the term.

I think Vixie was alluding more to the trademark than the copyright.

I expect that in terms of copyright he, and/or ISC, own large chunks of
the BIND-8 code, and most of the BIND-9 code and documentation; though
unless they've received waivers from all contributors the whole thing
could get rather messy if anyone ever contested it.  Certainly I never
signed any waivers for my contributions to BIND-4 (though they were
implicitly freely redistributable, of course).

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>     <woods () robohack ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>