nanog mailing list archives

Re: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

From: RJ Atkinson <rja () inet org>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 19:51:41 -0400

At 18:35 03/04/01, Jesper Skriver wrote:

Don't know how the world looks like in the US, but here a SDH/Sonet
provider will never guarentee diversity of his/her circuit to that of a different provider,

        Interesting, though they do guarantee that to NATO
circuits.  smd, are you able to get diverse local paths over there ?

often the end user can be almost sure that at least
the last few km will be in the same duct, as the local communities
demand that the providers cooperation when digging fiber into the
ground...

        Obviously there is a concern if everyone is in the same
duct, but if one builds with rings like sensible engineers,
then a single cut just means traffic goes the long way round.
Mind, if a backhoe disconnects one's building entirely from
the ring or there are byzantine failures, no form of multi-homing
will really save one.

        At a previous job, we ensured that local transport
came down one road into the front side of the building and
a different local transport came down the back road into the
back side of the building next door, then connected the buildings
via fibre of our own.  Made for quite a nice setup actually.

Ran