nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ameritech Service Quality Report

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () samurai sfo dead-dog com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 02:09:09 -0700

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 01:30:18AM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
The Michigan Public Service Commission has launched an investigation
into Ameritech's service quality.  According to Ameritech, in August
the estimated average repair time will be 115 hours (almost 5 days).
Significantly up over previous years' average repair times of about
a day (25-28 hours).

http://www.cis.state.mi.us/mpsc/comm/ameritech.htm

What I find interesting isn't Ameritech's long repair times, but how
do providers promise 4 hour repair times when the dominant local loop
provider takes over a day to fix something on a good day.

        You're presuming they answer the phone.

        This has been the case for the past few years:

        Two weeks ago, I called Ameritech over a hicap repair issue.
I spent 75 minutes on hold, only to get disconnected.  After calling
back, I spent 90 minutes on hold, only to get to an individual who
transferred me.  I was disconnected during the transfer.

        Indeed, we had to wake up the VP of another Ameritech division,
in the middle of the night, to get his people to open a ticket on this
circuit.  That was the only way we got it looked at at all.

        Ameritech repair is useless.  While living and working in
Michigan, I frequently had to go to the PSC over stupid issues
Ameritech should have been able to resolve quickly.

        --msa