nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 17:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

The Internet as we know it took 30 years to come to everybody, and it was
providing something that essentially wasn't provided before.

Internet2 provides the same thing, only faster; so why do we believe it will
replace the existing solution *EVER*, much less in a shorter time frame than
30 years?

The Internet is going to be with us for a very long time.  Emphasis should be
on fixing it, not replacing it.

Is it just me or is the Internet2 not a very big deal? Its based on OC-48c
and OC-192c technology as far as I know, so why would its adoption change
_anything_ except the some switch or router gear that guarantees QoS?

I admit my information may be woefully out of date; I saw an article in
InternetWeek about transfering a file at 40Mbit/s. I wouldn't see the big
deal at 400Mbit/s.

Deepak Jain
AiNET