nanog mailing list archives

Re: netscan.org update

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:10:08 -0700

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 08:19:58PM -0700, Troy Davis wrote:
Netscan.org hasn't created a BGP blackhole announcement out of lack of
time and because, at least while some significant sites are on it, we
doubt many people would use it.  Interestingly, looking at the top
smurf-announcing ASNs, an average American backbone could block easily
half of them and barely notice.

I've been very quiet on the scanning for smurf amps thing... which is
contrary to my nature :-)

However, I would really not like to see a BGP based listing of smurf
amps based on results from scanning.

E-mailing network operators who have smurf amps that happen to not have been
abused (maybe its a /30 with little bandwidth) smacks of UBE to me... and
you shouldn't be listing without notification...

--
John Payne      http://www.sackheads.org/jpayne/    john () sackheads org
http://www.sackheads.org/uce/                    Fax: +44 870 0547954