nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why did we do CIDR? (RE: Confussion over multi-homing)

From: Brantley Jones <bjones () redundant net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:27:14 -0500

At 06:46 PM 9/14/00 -0400, you wrote:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 02:50:07PM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
> If folks are going to deaggregate the addresses and announce multiple routes
> anyway, why are we going through the pain of ARIN policies.  Wouldn't it be
> better to allocate the appropriately sized address in the first place?

        Yes, it would.  It would seem ARIN should allocate small blocks on
a trade-in only policy.  You can get a /24, but when you go to a /23 you
_will_ renumber, and soforth up to a /19 or so, at which time when you need
more you get an additional prefix.

        That way you limit it to 1 route per ASN for small players, and
everyone can multihome.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440

What an administrative nightmare! Wouldn't it make more sense if ARIN would at least reserve some space for people saying they need more? They could always re-allocate it later. Renumbering can be tough, especially if you're growing fast...

Brantley

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633