nanog mailing list archives

Re: decreased caching efficiency?

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () samurai sfo dead-dog com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:33:42 -0700

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 10:24:27AM -0400, Dana Hudes wrote:
No, you are interfering with my revenue stream by preventing
my getting credit for the banner impression.

        Tough.  Banner ads aren't a guaranteed form of revenue.
How would you feel if I said my cache at home filters banner
content out?  You do not have a guaranteed right to spew
advertisements.  If banner revenue is a large part of your
revenue model, I think you need to consider revising it.

right. your customers pay you to get them the packets they asked for and if
they want to visit my site and see my content and your cache breaks that,
you're not delivering what your customers requested. My site won't deliver
content in most of the pages without the ads displaying.

        Not having a site that is cache friendly is the equivalent of
not having a site that works with Netscape|IE|etc.  I don't see how your
content is the responsibility of anyone else but you.

At the moment there is a timeout built in while I wait for the ad network
to increase server capacity to meet demand.
It will go away.

        Ahh, so your page is disgustingly slow, and you want to keep it
that way.

        --msa