nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

From: Mike Johnson <mike.johnson () isunnetworks com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:04:45 -0500

First, I want to apologize for my terms.  I did not mean dial-up
accounts and customers.  I'm talking about leased-line accounts.

Stephen J. Wilcox [steve () opaltelecom co uk] wrote:
Since we started filtering netbios ports and packets directed to network
or broadcast addresses from and to our modems our inbound abuse reports
has virtually stopped.. and a look at the security logs shows hundreds of
people simultaneously port scanning netbios ports. So far no one had
complained about problems.. I dont think many people in reality use the
internet for smb in its basic form, its normally businesses who might need
it and assuming they're sensible they will be using vpn tunnels anyway.

[snip]

Does that help you understand the argument, I think smb is a source of
much hassle and is virtually never used legitimatly and better off blocked
from our abuse mailbox point of view!

I do understand the argument better.  Thanks to you and all the others
that responded.

However, I would like to understand if leased line (and co-lo) providers
also filter.  I certainly can understand filtering dial-up customers,
but do y'all (or are y'all considering) doing any filtering on the
dedicated connection front?  That's a general 'y'all' out to NANOG,
by the way.

Thanks for all the responses.  I do have a better grasp on part of the
reasoning.

Mike
--
Mike Johnson