nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

From: "JIM FLEMING" <jfleming () anet com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:41:56 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Woodcock <woody () zocalo net>
To: Scott Call <scall () devolution com>
Cc: <nanog () nanog org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

    > Because this traffic is IP traffic, I wanted to ask others on this
list
    > how they treat SMB traffic on their backbones?

We've asked all customers, and nearly all of those have had us go ahead
and filter it inbound into their tailcircuits.  Some we're also filtering
outbound, again at the tailcircuit.  A few have asked for exceptions for
some home or branch offices, but that hasn't gotten unmanageable yet.
Most of the ones with complicated remote-access needs use GRE.

Yes, all people really need from the IPv4 global transport is the basic,
transparent, end-to-end transport of packets with IP (not TCP or UDP)
headers, without disturbing the TOS field...with that, we can evolve...

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif