nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI WORLDCOM TO PAY $3.5 MILLION

From: David Diaz <davediaz () iwcinc net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:28:45 -0500

At 8:35 PM -0500 11/13/00, Daniel L. Golding wrote:
That depends what you consider IOPS to be. Take your choice:

a) Secret internet routing cabal. So secret, no one can figure out what
they do.

The cabal makes jokes "Officially there is no cabal."
In reality the fact is that peering is a trust event. You are trusting the engineers at another (competitive) network with connectivity to yours. This also includes the ability to affect your network in the most extreme ways. I believe it became human nature to trust some of the early internet engineers. An engineer with a track record of running a stable network was worth of trust (ie peering).

The opposite is also true. Any engineer/network that was constantly flapping would quickly be likely to be dropped as a peer.

Does this seem unfair?

--

Thank you,
David Diaz

www.iwcinc.net
305-273-7978
email: davediaz () iwcinc net
pager: davediaz () bellsouthips com

'How you felt...when you heard my accusers, I do not know, but I nearly forgot who I was they were so persuasive. Yet as for truth one might almost say they have spoken not one word of truth. But what most astonished me in the many lies they told was when they warned you to take care not to be deceived by me "because I was a terrible clever speaker." They ought to have been ashamed to say it because I shall prove them wrong at once by facts when I begin to speak and you will see that I am not a bit clever speaker...unless of course they call one who speaks the truth a clever speaker.' -- Plato