nanog mailing list archives

RE: DomainSiren.com Whois records alert service

From: "Roeland Meyer (E-mail)" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 17:09:57 -0700

Cute dude. OTOH, this probably has enough operational content to merit posting to NANOG. Now all we need is for some
script-kiddee to figure it out <groan>.

Behalf Of domainiac
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000 4:08 PM

I figured out a way to completely hijack a domain in less
than week under
the new shared system.  And by hijack I do not mean simply
redirect the DNS,
etc. I mean completely change the whois record to a new
owner.  I won't post
specific directions but I am sure others could do the same
trick as it is
not that complicated.  I passed the specific directions onto
ICANN but who
knows if they are likely to do anything.  The vulnerability
only applies to
NSI domains with MAIL-FROM (or when their CRYPT-PW system screws up).

I set up an automated system that reads both the registry and
registrar
records, compares it the stored records, and automatically
e-mails contacts
with the changed info.  It also can be used to track domains
about to be
released.

http://DomainSiren.com

Russ Smith