nanog mailing list archives

Re: How long before NIPC decides we need one of these?

From: Chris Adams <chris () digitaria com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:07:35 -0700

On 04/30/00 11:00:12 PM gfresen () ais net wrote:

No, it's worse than that.  With your private key in their hands, they can
write
messages, put on appropriate dates and sign them ... then say that you wrote
them. (depending upon the technology that is used)

Yes. Couple that with treating key confiscation as a minor thing and I'd be
surprised if someone's key didn't end up accidentally being sent to a well-
connected competitor.

One possible line of defense other than complete civil disobediance might be
providing only the session key(s) used for encrypted documents instead of the
key-pair. It'd be interesting to see if the courts accept this.