nanog mailing list archives

Re: The %^&# did it!

From: Chip Sharp <chsharp () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:24:33 -0400

For those who would like to read the full text of the bill plus commentary
can go to
http://thomas.loc.gov/

and search on HR1291.  Select the version reported out of the House.  This
also includes some extra info on motivation and commentary.

The main text of the bill is copied below.

Note a couple of things.
    1)  The bill disallows access charges " based on a measure of the time"
the user is connected to the ISP.  It does not disallow flat rate access
charges.

    2)  The bill neither  mandates nor encourages access charges for Internet
Telephony.  Therefore,  Internet Telephony is status quo in terms of
regulation before the FCC.  What the bill doesn't do is forbid the FCC from
levying access charges on Internet Telephony.  Some might see this as a
slippery slope; however, I think it is a slope we were already on.

As some other folks have pointed out, Congress failed to define "Internet
Telephony".  I guess they will leave this up to the FCC.

---------start text-----------
"Section 254 of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 254) is amended by
adding at the end the following new  subsection:

     `(l) PROHIBITION OF CHARGES ON INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS-

          `(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding subsection (b)(4) or (d) or any
other provision of this title, the Commission shall  not impose on any
provider of Internet access service (as such term is defined in section
231(e)) any contribution for  the support of universal service that is based
on a measure of the time that telecommunications services are used in  the
provision of such Internet access service.

          `(2) RULE OF CONSTRUCTION- Nothing in this subsection shall
preclude the Commission from imposing access  charges on the providers of
Internet telephone services, irrespective of the type of customer premises
equipment used  in connection with such services.'.

John Fraizer wrote:

Time for a change in Washington.  Register to throw them out...er...vote.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc