nanog mailing list archives

Re: Optical Crossconnects and IP

From: Vijay Gill <wrath () cs umbc edu>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 18:40:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Danny McPherson wrote:

If it were actually implemented it wouldn't be something you'd
hand to the NOC .. unless I'm missing something.  You don't hand
them your SPF algorithm, or your BGP decision algorithm .. it's

Good point.  I assume you would calculate and precompute offline and have
the results loaded into the router.  Some implementations already use
something like this in case of fast online restoral. (Fore is one if I
remember correctly. They calculate 4 next best paths in case of failure of
the primary).

The benefit of a circuit-based restoration mechanism (i.e. MPLS
fast reroute with a pre-defined backup LSP) is that when you switch
to a backup connection you know (with some level of confidence) that
packets forwarded on the connection will not be tossed around like
hot potatos until the entire IGP converges, SPF calculation throttles
are reset, etc.., introducing instability in the network.

Understand what you were saying now.

/vijay