nanog mailing list archives

Re: Optical Crossconnects and IP

From: Tony Mumm <tonym () netins net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 09:44:31 -0500

 Vadim Antonov <avg () kotovnik com>
    wrote

Hop-by-hop routing is on its way out....and not soon enough.

Worked fine for the last 20 years.  Can you substantiate your
assertion?  So far all alternatives were shown to bring more
problems than improvements.

I am certainly not one to forget where we came from.   It
did, and will, have its place in the network.

However, more end to end knowledge is required in a converged
network.   I am for one looking to ease the load of general
traffic engineering.   In the giant carrier backbone, it
may be better to use your resources wisely, than to overbuild
your network.

I hear a phrase quite often "Everything is going to IP".  Well,
before my phone call is on IP, I want some guarantee that its
getting from point A to point Z at the rate I'm paying for.

On the OXC front:

The usage that may become dominant, is more protocol agnostic.
The sales of point to point lambda windows makes for a pretty
cool application.    This looks more to be a "carrier-to-carrier"
application.   Rather than leasing dark fiber, you can just
buy a lambda to complete your ring...etc.    We might finally
have a good use for all this glass going in the ground.

And before I slip too far off topic....

-tm