nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arlington and Fort Worth, Texas

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:22:54 -0600

Maybe this is a facet of natural disasters rarely afflicting downtown areas
around here...

I've noticed that every telco colo facility I've been in around downtown
Dallas has the same design...  All are in high-rise facilities, on the
10th-30th floors.  All have the battery and A/C rooms around the elevator
shafts at the center of the floor plan, surrounded by all the equipment
racks/cages around the outside facing the windows.

There are at least a dozen buildings in/near downtown Dallas with
substantial carrier presence, many with 4+ telco-occupied floors.  According
to MFS, the majority of MAE-Dallas customers aren't in the overcrowded
Infomart (where the MAE officially resides) since there's a surplus of fiber
to the downtown carrier hotels.  Every telco seems to run all of their
cross-country fiber through these buildings.

While there are geological reasons I doubt downtown Dallas is likely to get
hit with a tornado like Ft Worth was (off-topic, email me), I can't imagine
the hell that would ensue if it did.

     |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
    :|:        :|:        Network Consulting Engineer, NSA
   :|||:      :|||:       14875 Landmark Blvd #400; Dallas, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Email: ssprunk () cisco com