nanog mailing list archives

Re: WHOIS source?

From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet () graffiti com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:24:28 -0400

Can someone point me to the source for a whois server... I
don't know
why, but I haven't been able to find any sources....

it seems to me that in the complete and utter absence of a
formal
protocol, a sample implementation might something like:

RFC812

well, yes...but that's a matchbook protocol if i ever saw one.  three
pages on "send a line to the server and it will send you stuff back".
:)

besides...only internic's server seems to come close to implementing
the protocol as described there, which, incidentally, doesn't describe
the "forwarding" responses that rs.internic.net now feeds us.

i stand by my implementation.  by putting the appropriate data in the
database, the implementation i gave can do just about all of that.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet