nanog mailing list archives

Re: maximum active vlans in a cisco 6509

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:05:05 -0500

Sez "Bob Biver" <bbiver () hotmail com>
okay, now let's change venue:
the hotel has copper pairs to all of the rooms that are terminated on
dslam. this dslam has only ethernet out and on the  segment can
provision
each cable pair/customer to a vlan. these vlans are then aggregated
into
10/100 switches in the basement uplinked to the corporate office via
gige. > then all those customer vlans end up being bridged 1483 to atm
pvcs into an
ssg.

Don't forget you'll have to have DSL CPE in every room; that's why most
places use Ethernet in the first place.

what box could possible aggregate all this gige,

You don't state what kind of density you require, but several vendors
build GE aggregation devices.

sar to atm, all the while

Unless something's come out recently I wasn't aware of (likely), nobody
can SAR at multi-Gbit speeds.  In any case, why SAR it to ATM at the
head end when you already have it there as packets?  Isn't that
counter-productive?

supporting thousands of vlans

Good luck.

many thanks from hotel owners everywhere 8>

May I suggest you reconsider your architecture?

bob-

     |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
    :|:        :|:        Network Design Consultant, HCOE
   :|||:      :|||:       14875 Landmark Blvd #400; Dallas, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Email: ssprunk () cisco com