nanog mailing list archives

RE: maximum active vlans in a crisco 6509

From: "Roeland Meyer (E-mail)" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:01:45 -0700

Bob Biver: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 7:28 PM

the docs say max 250, is this informational or a limit of
spanning tree?

also,

is anyone running more than 250 ?

If I recall correctly, that's also real close to the maximum
number of physical connections to the chasis, with all modules
installed. Personally, I've never run anywhere near that number.
I don't think it is useful to have less than 2 members in a vlan.
You would also be surpassing the bandwidth limitations of that
chasis, even if all the connections were 100baseTX.