nanog mailing list archives

Re: Private and Public Peering

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () mibh net>
Date: 19 Jun 2000 13:24:02 -0700

At 21:42 06/18/2000 -0700, Steve Feldman wrote:
The closest to a real distinction that I've been able to come up with is
whether or not a third party is involved *and* whether packets (or cells)
are switched.

smarcus () genuity com (Scott Marcus) writes:
What most people mean by "private peering" is a direct interconnection
between two providers.  That's most often implemented over a circuit
between the two, without either deploying equipment to the other's
premises; again, however, that's simply a matter of engineering
convenience.  These connections are conceptually point-to-point.

I like Steve's distinction better.  When folks peer at PAIX, they do so
with a "direct interconnection between two providers".  The fact that both
providers have extended their networks to PAIX, or are using PAIX as a POP,
doesn't make the "peering" less "private".
--
Paul Vixie <vixie () mibh net>
SVP for Internet Services, MFNX

M.I.B.H. Inc. is a subsidiary of Metromedia Fiber Network, Inc.