nanog mailing list archives

RE: Jumbo Frames (was Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner toreston VA. )

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:25:24 +0200

These are important for many reasons. Without these
techniques, we can't
even do line rate GigE on "common place" servers, let alone
have any CPU
left over to do more then just send packets.

Actually, my testing shows a falure to utilize even 100baseTX
fully. Even in a switched FDX environment (no collisions) I can't
achieve line rate without bumping the packet size up. Considering
that the smallest box is a quad-CPU SMP machine (550Mhz), I don't
think that there is a CPU shortage <grin>.

The your problem probably lies elsewhere. A decent operating system
(e.g. FreeBSD) can do line rate on 100baseTX with something along the
line of a Pentium-166. Not exactly a very powerful machine by current
standards. (And btw this was measured three years ago...)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no