nanog mailing list archives

RE: Application versimilitude (was RE: PMTU-D: remember, your loa d balancer is broken )

From: rdobbins () netmore net
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:48:01 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Roeland Meyer (E-mail) [mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 12:28 AM
To: rdobbins () netmore net; ssprunk () cisco com
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: RE: Application versimilitude (was RE: PMTU-D: remember, your
load balancer is broken )

snip<

Actually, this is simplistic. There are many cases where you have
either binary-only (as in the case of Oracle) or the code has
been thorugh the QA cycle and one is not allowed to touch it
(even if one is allowed, hopefully one would know better).

Oh, I agree with that.  In the binary-only or past-QA instances, one must
do lots of sniffing and tweaking.

I guess all this "let's go to big MTUs NOW" talk just struck me as a bit
premature.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () netmore net> // 818.535.5024 voice