nanog mailing list archives

Re: bw usage?

From: Alex <alex () nac net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:22:45 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, David M. Ramsey wrote:

For now I've cobbled together some crude software to regularly
read SNMP port byte in/out counters from our switches, stashing
the deltas in a DB for later reporting/analysis.

We do about the same thing, but we store absolute byte counts, relative
byte counts from the last measurement, and figure the kb/s; we also store
AdminStatus and OperStatus for SLA purposes.

I'm concerned that the data is misleading, though, in that it will
include LAN broadcast traffic.  Also, customers end up paying
for other bandwidth that they did not want or induce, like network
scans, etc. (tough luck?).

Exactly, tough. If they use the bandwidth, then they should pay for the
bandwidth.

We've considered implementing unique customer VLANS to separate
customer broadcast domains, but it seems like that'd be a pain,
would eat up IP addresses, and possibly tax our routers with all of
the ISL/VLAN stuff?

We do that; it's unwise to have everyone on the same VLAN, as some others
have demonstrated.