nanog mailing list archives

Re: non-gui tool for parsing/generating cisco configs

From: Joe Shaw <jshaw () insync net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 12:46:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Eric Hall wrote:

      I'm looking for a non-gui tool (or tools) for
parsing and generating configs for cisco switches and
routers that can be run from another process on unix systems.
The configs I'll have are pretty simple, minimal routing,
some port-specific commands, and basic host info.

I knocked something like this out for a company I worked for a while back,
but I don't think they want to release the code.  However, I could write a
script that did something similar in a relatively short amount of time,
given the criteria you're checking for.  The script parsed a cisco config
for gloabal services turned off/on (ip finger, tcp-small-servers),
required interface commands, BGP/OSP router setups, and a few other
things, kind of like a lint for Cisco.  Writing a multi-purpose beast to
handle just any generic cisco config you throw at it would probably be a
pain, which is probably why it hasn't been done yet, outside of the
limited tools from Cisco.

      I've searched around the web and dug through the nanog
archives (mostly to find there are few things, none of which
match my current needs, and lots of people saying they
need what I'm asking for and more).

      If anybody has pointers for the above, they're much
appreciated.

__
Joseph Shaw