nanog mailing list archives

Re: Telco NOC vs. Internet NOCs (WAS: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.n

From: Robert Cannon <rmcannon () mail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:20:29 -0400 (EDT)

I am not saying too much solid at all about how much the IXC's utilize each
others networks.  It is really just an impression.  I suppose one that I am
curious about how accurate it is. The impression again is that AT&T provides
end to end service - which is quite different from the Internet where
networks keep playing hot potato with the traffic.  Sean's comments are
interesting - I would love to see something more substantiated just for fun.
I would be curious, where two networks exist, how much traffic they might
exchange.  And then there is the situation which was pointed out where one
of two networks does not exist and the first must rely on the second to
complete the transmission.

I think regulatorily there has been a lot of attention paid to traffic
exchanged between LEC and LEC - and traffic exchanged between LECs and IXCs
- but not necessarily traffic exchanged between IXC and IXC (again, except
in the case of network reliability where one IXC is down and relies upon the
other).

-B
www.cybertelecom.org