nanog mailing list archives

Re: Root Server Problems

From: "Jay Stewart" <cosmo () olywa net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:04:29 -0800

Isn't this the same behavior you'll see if the domain is placed
"on-hold" for non-payment?  I've seen many domains that we service
have this same problem, and inevitably it's becuase the domain owner
never paid the NIC fees.

It's my understanding that NetSol stopped publishing payment status
information in the whois database, because domain resellers were
registering domains on speculation, then re-registering them when they
were deleted from the database.  The "on-hold" flag in the database
was being used by speculators to determine when to re-register the
domains so that a legitimate domain seeker could not get them.

Jay Stewart
Vice President
Olympia Networking Services - "The Northwest's Premier ISP"
http://www.olywa.net