nanog mailing list archives

Re: www.etrade.com has no DNS A record !

From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown () denalics net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:12:25 -0900 (AKST)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, John Hawkinson wrote:

Why is discussion of a single site's DNS configuration screwup
appropriate for NANOG?

Is your goal to get the word out to people who use E*TRADE?
I don't think NANOG is right for that.

Is your goal to get the word out to network providers of people
who use E*TRADE? Do you really expect that many of them will
forward this announcement or make good use of it? Should
a message be sent to NANOG every time CNN, Netscape, or Yahoo
go down?

Am I missing something here? [Like a sense of humor?]

        Because etrade is a site (among many) that customers tend to
get very pissed if they cannot reach.  While a long drawn out argument
about it is silly, the initial announcement is useful.  It helped my
staff handle the multiple 'Your network is broken and you are losing
me $$$ you $%^^&^%&' calls.

        Very nice to be able to say 'No, we are fine, ETrade is
however suffering from a configuration failure with their DNS.  There
are currently Nationwide issues getting to them.'

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.