nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco says attacks are due to operational practices

From: Wayne Bouchard <web () typo org>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:49:01 -0700 (MST)

At 06:13 PM 02/10/2000 -0800, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

Filtering incoming our outgoing ports for anybody's network but your own (not
your customer's) is wrong.  You know specifically what apps you are running.
How can you know what your customer is running or what they want to do ?

Excuse me, but can you please tell me what "application" a downstream
customer might be running which originates packets for traffic with
source addresses which they are not advertising (or you are advertising
for them)?

- paul

In earlier days, direct-pc used to do this... Don't know if they
"fixed" it or not.

Wayne Bouchard                                    [Immagine Your    ]
web () typo org                                      [Company Name Here]
Network Engineer