nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fair Queuing combats DDoS? [was Re: Yahoo! Lessons Learned ]

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 00:16:40 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Randy Bush wrote:

I want something for clueful people to be able to type after "conf
t". Asking people who probably aren't on this mailing list and almost
certainly don't understand the problem to fix *their* network does not cut
the mustard.

e.g. the problem with the ddos attacks is that the pain is far removed from
the enabling causes, thus severely weakening prophylactic motivations.  two
trends may help.  as the pain is more universally felt, the motivation may
spread.  and i suspect that the inclination to peer with non-motivated isps
may change.

randy

At minumum, a hurt can be put on networks that are irresponsible/innane by
effectively blackholeing them.

neighbor db.bad-networks.blah.someone.com remote-as blah-blah
neighbor db.bad-networks.blah.someone.com description DB of bad networks
neighbor db.bad-networks.blah.someone.com route-map blackhole in
neighbor db.bad-networks.blah.someone.com filter-list 2 out
!
route-map blackhole permit 10
set ip next-hop 127.0.0.1
!

Suddenlt being blackholed from those of use who don't wish to deal with
operators who won't/can't secure their network might actually get their
attention.  Much the same as denying the entire APNIC allocation in
.htaccess substantially reduces CC fraud on e-commerce sites.

I know.  It's akin to killing a fly with a sledge-hammer but sometimes
it's worth it.

|Signature line included for Jay R Ashworth|

John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc