nanog mailing list archives

Re: FBI / NIPC released a DDoSD detection tool?

From: Joe Shaw <jshaw () insync net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:12:55 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Pat Myrto wrote:

Roeland M.J. Meyer has declared that:

I don't care where it purports to be from, for this kind of code, I will not
trust something [to not be a trojan] that I can not compile myself. This
policy applies to SSH, SSL, and other security related code. I am sure that
I am not the only one with this policy.

The NIPC admitted that to me.  You are not the only one by a long shot.

I contacted the NIPC site, and sent email to the nicpc contact asking
about source, explaining the above concerns to them.  Their response
was they were valid concerns, but they basically didnt care.  NO
SOURCE.  "Trust us".
[SNIP]
Until then, however, thanks but no thanks.   I will muddle along using
other methods.

As such I am looking for open-src tools for finding and smoking out
these rogue daemons from other sources.

Did people not read where I posted links to info and scanners for the
known DDoS daemons?  I know I'm vocal, and occasionally irrational, but I
like to think I have a few good pieces of information to share now and
again.

http://www.washington.edu/People/dad/, scroll down to Papers / Articles /
Reports, and look at the fifth and sixth entries.

"gag -- a stacheldraht agent scanner (C source code) by Dave Dittrich,
 Marcus Ranum, and others.
 dds -- a trinoo/TFN/stacheldraht agent scanner (C source code) by Dave
 Dittrich, Marcus Ranum, George Weaver, David Brumley, and others. [In
 BETA testing.]"

These are links to source tarballs.

--
Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw () insync net
Computer Security Consultant and Programmer