nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operations: where are you going to sit?

From: <mdevney () teamsphere com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:09:39 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Dec 2000, Sean Donelan wrote:
Key features for a NOC:
   1) Good chairs
   2) Quiet
   3) Adequate ice maker
   4) Lots of bookshelves, file cabinets, and personal storage
   5) Lots of phone lines (including conference and analog)
   6) Some direct phone(s) (not through PBX, i.e. Red Phones)
   7) Multiple PCs/Workstations per operator
   8) Private tunes (cd player & headset)
   9) CNN and The Weather Channel (really ESPN)
  10) Drapes across the glass window

To which I would add from my own years in a NOC:

- Low light (especially halogens -- flourescents are a killer)
- Ready access to sodas, company-paid pref.  (coffee is nice, but soda is
necessary.)
- Wide aisles, so people can -run- in an emergency
- Binder containing phone numbers for telco contacts, management up to and
including CEO, etc.
- Kooshes or similar toys for slow grave shifts.