nanog mailing list archives

Re: Pinging routers for network status

From: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map () internet org ph>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:38:23 +0800

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 01:12:17AM -0800, Matt Levine wrote:
Well, although there's no entirely fool-proof way, We've found a better way
of monitoring "real" outages/issues is to monitor the time required to setup
a tcp connection to some "trusted" machines.   For example, in our VA
datacenter we monitor the time required to setup a connection with tier1
providers (UU,BBN,DIGEX for example) nameservers (on port 53)..  We've found
it slightly more reliable than ICMP reqs, especially since when routers get
busy, it shows as degradation vs. outage.

How does your "DNS ping" work, do you just open and close a TCP connection?
Or make actual requests?   Like, "dig soa provider.net @ns.provider.net".
But perhaps if everyone starts doing this to the same box, it could be seen
as DoS?

--

http://www.internet.org.ph              Internet and ISP's in the Philippines
http://www.ASARproject.org              Artists for Social Action and Response