nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Thomas Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:42:20 -0400

Steve Sobol wrote:

Jim Mercer wrote:

it's the last alphanumeric token in a string delimited by dots.

And it doesn't exist anywhere except Windows.

untrue.

just think how crippled make(1) would be without extensions.

DOS and Windows do NOT consider the extension to be part of
the filename. In DOS, make.exe is made up of the filename "make",
and the extension "exe". In Unix and MacOS, "make.exe" represents
a filename "make.exe". The concept of the file extension doesn't exist
as it does in DOS.

Now that I think about it, though, VMS has file extensions, doesn't
it? (Been a while since I last used VMS.) I don't know if the extensions
are treated the way DOS and Windows treats extensions, though.

--

In VMS (whihc is what DOS is based on AFAIK)
the file name is name.ext;N (where N is the version number, which is incremented

North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, BOFH - President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor
Linux Instructor, PC/LAN Program, Natl. Institute of Technology, Akron, OH
sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net - 888.480.4NET - 216.619.2NET

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624
Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme () on-the-i com     tme () multicasttech com

http://www.on-the-i.com http://www.buzzwaves.com