nanog mailing list archives

Re: Now the idiots at ORBS are probing random dial-ups

From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:19:40 -0400

Chris Adams wrote:

As for ORBS: I have had several customers with open relays lately (which
they've shut as soon as we notified them).  A couple of them used our
primary mail server as a smarthost, so ORBS listed it as well.  In each
case, ORBS failed to notify us of the listing at all.  We only found out
when our customers had mail blocked at servers using ORBS.

I got notified when ORBS found one of the servers under my care to be
open.

Ah. Here's the copy of the notification that I got. They send to
postmaster@Second.Level.Domain and
postmaster () Hostname Of The Mail.Server.
That.Is.Found.To.Be.Open[0]. Question is, is someone answering
postmaster () Your Customers Domains And Your Own.Domains?

[0] My particular problem was with auth2.acclink.com. The notification
went to postmaster () acclink com and postmaster () auth2 acclink com. I
believe ORBS uses rDNS to get the hostname of the mail server, but
you'd have to ask Alan Brown to be sure.

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH
http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net