nanog mailing list archives

The last thing I'm gonna say about IRC

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:53:47 -0400

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 10:43:10AM -0700, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
Hence, if all the IRC networks would implement Chanserv, and educate users,
these attacks would decrease.

      Actually, then they get directed at the services, their
upstream hubs, etc.  Trust me on this.  As long as IRC is running
in some way, shape, or form, you have a very big bullseye placed
on your network.

I did say "decrease" not "stop entirely".

Every argument I'm getting thrown back at me is arguing against the latter,
instead of what I actually said.

If even one person doesn't attack because he can't take over the channel,
and brief service interruption doesn't cut the mustard for him, then using
Chanserv was a good tool, and that's the only claim I made.

If you want to argue that the attacks won't decrease, fine; but everybody
please stop telling me that they won't cease, because I KNOW THAT ALREADY.