nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multi-homing - service provider issues

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 21:44:36 +0800

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000, Dustin Goodwin wrote:

Well from sentiment I pick up from nanog lists and last nanog meeting it
does not seem many provides are actually worried about the size of the
internet routing table anymore. Use to be the main objection to routing
table growth was the fear of core routers become expensive space heaters . I
am inferring here that routers have caught up and then some handling larger
and larger tables. So why is there still so much resistances to supporting
multi-homed customers that, shock horror, involves providers advertising
more discreet routes that are in the middle of their cider blocks? I am
guessing administrative overhead is main objection now. The whole
micro-allocation conversation show provider willingness to allow growth in
the routing tables. I have my flame retardant suit on so go for it.

Just because people might not fear their routers melting under large
network tables doesn't mean tomorrow they want 100,000 /30's in their
routing tables. The resistance is there so people who really positively
have no other choice - there are lots of other possibilities, and if
some unexpected sideeffect of lots of /30's pop up, the entire internet
suffers rather than just one customer.

Adrian